Wood destroying insects including termites, carpenter ants, acrobat ants and more, can cause major damage to your home in very little time. Formosan termites, found in the Brazos Valley in 2009, can destroy your entire home in as little as a year and a half. See our pest identification page to see each of the different types of termites)
Venus Pest Company offers comprehensive programs for the elimination and prevention of termites and other wood destroying insects. From real estate inspections to elimination of infestations, Venus Pest Company can tailor a program specific to your needs.
Pre Construction Treatment:
Also called pre-treatment, this treatment is required for all new construction in the State of Texas. There are several options available for pre construction treatment including soil treatment, physical barriers, or wood treatment.
- Soil treatment: Treatment of the soil with several hundred gallons of insecticide mixture before the slab is poured.
- Physical barriers: Insecticide impregnated plastic or tightly woven screen.
- Wood treatment: Building with treated wood or treating the wood frame after it is up.
- Venus Pest Company offers wood treatment using Bora Care or Termite Baiting Systems (see True Control: Integrated Termite Management).
- With Bora Care Treatment, the bottom 2 feet of all wood members in the structure are treated during the dried-in stage of construction.
- Less than 5 gallons of Bora Care solution is needed for most treatments.
- Termites can not eat or build shelter tubes over wood that is treated with Bora Care.
- The active ingredient of Bora Care is Boric acid, which is about as toxic as table salt.
- Bora Care comes with an impressive 5 year re-treatment and damage repair warranty.
Integrated Termite Management (True Control):
This program may be used to either control an existing infestation or to monitor and protect against future infestations. There are three stages to integrated termite control.
- Thorough inspection for existing infestations and termite conducive conditions.
- Existing infestations are spot-treated with Termidor (see Classic Control) and where possible, conducive conditions are corrected.
- The third and final stage is the installation and monitoring of termite bait stations.
- Venus Pest Company uses Advance Termite bait stations.
- The below-ground stations are installed around the exterior of the structure at 10-15 foot intervals.
- These bait stations and the structure are then inspected every three months.
- A cellulose/insecticide bait is used to control termites found in bait stations and Termidor is used to control any additional termites found in the structure.
Classic Control is our name for conventional termite control using liquid termiticide. In slab construction, conventional treatment involves trenching and treating around the exterior of the stucture with liquid termiticide. Exposed soil in bath traps also is treated. Holes may need to be drilled in the foundation or around patios and porches to reach the source of the termites.
Venus Pest Company uses Termidor for conventional treatments.
- Termidor is a synethic insecticide that has a relatively low mammalian toxicity (2000 mg/kg) and no odor.
- The active ingredient in Termidor is used in some pet flea treatments.